Garage doors have come a long way over the years, offering improvements both in form and function for homeowners to enjoy. Whether you’re simply looking to give your home exterior a boost or your garage door has been damaged beyond repair, there is no better time than now to not just get a replacement but to also to upgrade.
Why Get a New Garage Door? Because Your Garage Deserves It!
Garages typically do more than just shelter and protect vehicles, doubling as storage for tools, equipment, and just about anything that doesn’t have space inside the home. They can also be used as workshops or home offices, and even as another bedroom, if needed. Whatever role your garage plays in your home, it deserves a high-quality garage door to do its job well.
What You’ll Get From a High-Quality Garage Door
Garage doors can affect a lot of things in your home, from curb appeal to safety. If you don’t carefully choose a garage door, you risk wasting your investment and the opportunity of reaping the benefits of what a high-quality one has to offer. Make the right choice, however, and you’ll enjoy many good things, like:
- Increased curb appeal. Your garage door can make or break your home’s aesthetic appeal. Garage doors typically occupy up to 30 percent of a home’s front facade, so opting for a low-quality assembly will be highly obvious even from afar. Garage doors today come in a variety of designs, colors, and finishes, including a number of window configurations, to complement any home style you might have.
- Improved energy efficiency. Certain garage door models are designed to provide excellent thermal insulation. These can not only make the environment in a garage more comfortable but extend the benefit as well to the home because the two are connected. High-quality garage doors are able to do these thanks to superb insulation that keeps air leakage at bay. Additionally, where little air leakage occurs, little noise will also be able to make their way into your home to disturb your peace.
- Enhanced protection and safety. High-quality garage doors are built to ensure reliable construction, withstanding extreme weather conditions and resisting damage from external threats. They also typically come with advanced safety features that guarantee smooth and secure operation to prevent accidents related to door malfunctions.
- Incredible ease of use. Because of today’s technological advancements, newer and higher-quality garage doors are now very easy to use. Remote access and operation has become more advanced and widely available. Automated garage doors are also safer as they are programmed to operate in specific movements and timing.
Upgrading a garage door can also add value to your home. According to the 2016 Cost vs. Value Report, a mid-range garage door replacement project can recoup up to 91.5% of the cost while an upscale replacement has a recoup rate of 90.1%. Even when you’re not looking to sell, it’s nice to know that you’re living in a high-value property.
Making the Most of a High-Quality Garage Door
To make the most of today’s advanced garage doors, you need to choose the right one for your home and specific needs. To help you do just that, here are some factors you should take into consideration:
- In general, your garage door should match your home’s design. You can choose from carriage doors, traditional-style doors, full-view doors, and two-section overlap doors. You can also add windows or lites that not only add outdoor elegance, but also let you take advantage of natural lighting in your garage.
- Naturally, you should choose a material that is durable and reliable. But more than the natural strength of a material, you should also consider your area’s very own climate. For instance, solid wood offers rigidity and excellent insulation, but its performance may be compromised when exposed to high levels of moisture and humidity. This is the reason why you should consult a garage door professional in your area to better understand which materials are best suited for local conditions.
- Other features. You may have specific and unique needs that will require a garage door to have certain additional features. Fortunately, garage doors can be customized to incorporate exactly what you want and need, ensuring that your garage door installation satisfies you.
Aside from choosing the right door option, making the most of getting a new garage door lies in working with a professional to ensure proper installation. After all, even the best and highest-quality garage doors will perform poorly when not installed correctly. Got questions about garage doors? Don’t hesitate to call your local garage door expert today for clarifications.
Jeff Varney is the vice president of Automatic Garage Door Company. He’s been a part of the family business since 1994 and is an expert in installation, service, and sales while managing the company’s advertising and marketing efforts. In his free time, he serves as a wrestling coach for North Royalton and writes to help homeowners learn more about the importance of high-quality garage doors and accessories. For updates from Jeff, check out the company blog!