Last Updated on March 18, 2022 by Kravelv
Garage doors are usually used for protection and serve as a safe haven for your vehicles and other heavy equipment such as the lawn mower amongst other things.
However, there are a number of different type of garage doors and the two most popular ones are wooden and automatic garage doors. Each one of them comes with their own set of advantages and disadvantages.
The most common form of garage doors are made of wood. While many would argue that an automatic garage door might have more advantages that is not quite always the case. So without further ado here are some of the advantages of having a wooden garage door.
Also Read: Shipping Container as a Garage
- They offer a number of design options, and you can customize them any way that you want. You can even apply a coat of paint to the door to give it an aesthetically pleasing appearance.
- They can adapt to any size of garage openings, and look beautiful in the process as well. There is something about a wooden garage door that oozes class, and gives the exterior of your house a polished look.
- Polished wood is made from material which can negate noise. Hence a wooden garage door has the capacity to negate sound.
- These doors are durable and are resistant to damage such as scratches, and dents. It’s another matter altogether if you take a hammer to the door and start pounding it mercilessly.
- They are also relatively easy to install when compared with an automated garage doors, and can’t be hacked unlike an automated garage door. Hence you might be safer with a wooden garage door after all.
These were some of the advantages of having a wooden garage door. But there are certain disadvantages as well.
- They are really heavy and hence they can be difficult to operate on a regular basis. Continuously bending down and getting back up to open and shut the garage door can cause a strain on your back.
- They require maintenance as wood is a material which can rot quite easily.
- You need to be aware at all times for termites. If there is standing water nearby or if the place is damp, termites will be at your door in a flash, and that can be really problematic.
- Some wood such as timber are really expensive and you need a significant amount in your bank if you are going to use this type of wood for your garage door.
- They do not offer the convenience of an automated garage door, and hence it can at times be a bit frustrating to constantly look after them.
Come to think about it the advantages and disadvantages are almost equal, what I mean is that they cancel each other out. In the end I guess it really comes down to your individual preferences.
If you do however plan to install a wooden garage door, the first thing you need to do is go over your allocated budget for the installation, and then decide on a contractor accordingly. I Would suggest making use of the guys from Abstract Door as they did a really good job installing the garage door in my house. These guys are utter professionals and you can’t go wrong with them.