People typically consider garage doors as their garages’ protection from the elements and nothing more than that. However, because a garage door covers a huge part of a home’s observable exteriors, it also serves an aesthetic purpose on top of its practical ones.
Old Garage Doors: Should You Repair Or Replace?
As a responsible homeowner, you may be following all the necessary tips to properly maintain your garage door. However, there’ll come a time when even the best maintenance measures will stop being effective.
Oftentimes, this only means one thing: it’s time to get a garage door replacement. Of course, going for repair is also an option. But, how do you know which solution is better for your particular case?
Professionals like Mydoorpro suggest that a repair would suffice in the following cases:
- Sudden breakdown: If your door has been functioning properly so far except for the recent breakdown, the issue is typically repairable. When this happens, the problem can usually be pinpointed to a malfunction in one of the parts of the garage door system.
- Damage in one panel: Garage doors are generally composed of multiple panels. If one of those panels gets damaged, you simply need to replace that panel.
- Sagging doors: When you notice that your garage doors look uneven upon lifting, the problem is often solved by replacing the springs.
- Unusual heaviness: Given that garage doors are particularly heavy, sometimes they may feel heavier than usual. Just like the problem with sagging doors, worn out springs may be to blame for this.
On the other hand, total replacement would be better for the following situations:
- Repetitive Malfunctions
Dealing with garage door malfunctions on rare occasions is already expected. After all, the entire system is weight-bearing. While the door’s parts may be of great quality, it’s still vulnerable to wear-and-tear, something that naturally happens with time and repeated usage.
However, when the malfunctions have become too repetitive for your comfort, it’s time to call contractors, like the ones from Mydoorpro, and have a new door installed. When malfunctions cannot be solved by repairs anymore, there’s a huge chance that the system has already reached the end of its lifespan.
- The Door Is Unbearably Noisy
When it comes to operating garage doors, some level of noise is acceptable. However, when it becomes unusually and significantly noisy, it’s often a sign that something in the whole system is about to break. If you refuse to have your noisy garage door inspected, it’s only a matter of time before it collapses and endangers anyone who might be in the way.
The causes of noise in garage doors can be any of the following:
- Bad springs
- Worn out brackets
- Worn out rollers
- Lack of lubrication
If you notice that the odd noises have been around for some time, schedule an appointment with the contractor as soon as possible. Don’t wait until the problem gets worse because it definitely will and you’ll inevitably have to pay more.
- High Energy Bills
Garage doors are meant to close all the way down and seal your garage. This is especially crucial during the winter months, when it’s supposed to maintain your house’s insulation from the cold. If your door fails to close completely shut, then, it isn’t functioning optimally, which might lead to two undesirable repercussions:
- Cooler winters: When your garage door doesn’t seal your garage like it’s supposed to, warm air from your heater can leak out and the uninvited coldness can get in.
- Expensive bills: If cold gets into your house, you’ll usually respond by adjusting the heater to higher temperatures. This results in higher energy bills, which accumulates slowly but can add up to surprising amounts upon careful computation.
Garage doors are supposed to insulate your home. If your doors are failing at this, then, it’s time to change into a model that has better insulation properties.
- You’re Thinking Of Remodeling Your Home
One of the ways to make your home’s exteriors more appealing is by replacing your garage door. That’s because the garage door is big enough to draw attention unto itself.
You can capitalize on its eye-catchiness by ensuring that its visual appeal matches well with the rest of the house. If you find yourself feeling unsatisfied with your garage door’s outdated look, scheduling a home renovation project that includes your garage door may be in your best interests.
- You Need A Security Update
Aesthetics isn’t the only factor that needs to be updated about your garage door. If you’re concerned about your family’s safety and security, you should consider getting a garage door that has updated security features.
Although no one wants to expect the worst, you’ll have an easier time sleeping at night if you know that your garage door is secure enough to be able to fend off would-be attackers. Additionally, if it’s equipped with safety features, accidents will be minimized.
And, if that’s not enough, newer garage doors are also capable of connecting to your smart devices. When activated, you’ll be able to open your garage with a few clicks from your smartphone.
- You’re Planning To Sell Your Home For A Profit
Potential buyers will see your exteriors first before they discover the beauty of your interiors. If you wish to make a great first impression, modernizing your garage door is recommended for boosting your curb appeal.
While it’s true that garage doors don’t represent your entire curb, if you can get that part right, it will be easier for onlookers to assume that the rest of the house looks as attractive. Hence, selling for a profit wouldn’t be that challenging.
Know When It’s Time To Leave Your Old Garage Door Behind
Some garage doors can still be repaired, while others are better off being completely replaced. Knowing which case would best benefit your situation is essential if you wish to save money in the long run and get the best deal.
Whatever your choice is, make sure that you contact a professional and let them take care of your garage door for you. This way, you can feel safe knowing that your door will be handled the right way.