A good night’s sleep is essential for glowing skin, increasing productivity, and for your health in general. For uninterrupted sleep, a comfortable custom made mattress from Sydney is a must. It is often said that a mattress is a one-time investment. However, if you are waking up in the morning with body pain remember that it is time to get a new mattress.
The market is flooded with a wide variety of mattresses. So how do you decide which mattress is best suited for you. We give you a few tips to select the right one.
A mattress should not be too firm or too soft
Any mattress you choose should give good support to your body. What happens when the mattress is too firm is that it will push on the main pressure points. On the other hand, if the mattress is too soft, it won’t support the pressure points. In both cases the result is body pain.
Test it in the store
Will you buy a car without test driving it? No. Similarly, you should never buy a mattress without testing it. Lay down on the mattress in the position in which you normally sleep. You must try it with the pillow for at least 10 minutes. This will help you choose the right one.
Compare mattress types
- Innerspring mattresses are for those who love the bounce. However, there has to be enough springs and cushion to support your body or else you will wake up with an aching back.
- Latex mattresses, made from either natural or synthetic rubber, provide a very firm, bouncy support that is uniform throughout the bed. Latex is one of the best materials for mattress as it is resistant to mould and dust mites. Buy a latex mattress if you have any allergies. They give firm support for your body hence best for those with back pain, too.
- Memory foam mattresses, which are made of layers of different densities of foam, are currently popular. They respond to weight and temperature, and can contour to the specific shape of your body. Foam is good for those who have allergies since they are inherently antimicrobial.
- Air mattresses are different from the blow-up mattresses that you put up to accommodate additional guests. Air mattresses might look like innerspring mattress, but air-filled chambers are used in these types of mattresses instead of coils. These are good for patients with spinal cord injuries who have to lie in bed for a long time. These mattresses are adjustable, too.
You must pick and choose which is best suited for you. Spring mattresses are widely used. However, that doesn’t mean you will feel comfortable sleeping on it. It’s a matter of preference.
Consider your sleeping positions
Apart from the types of mattresses, you must also take sleep style into consideration before buying a mattress.
- If you sleep on your side, you need a mattress that is soft on the sides. A firm mattress is not for you. You must choose a memory foam or a mattress with a fluffy topper.
- If you sleep on your stomach, latex mattress or spring mattress will suit you. Since these mattresses have a firm top surface, they will give you the best support.
- If you sleep on your back, then you can choose any of these mattresses. However, you must still test it out in the showroom and see what feels best for you.
This article was written by Manu Vipin, who has worked as a senior reporter and editor for some of the leading national dailies like The New Indian Express and The Times of India, and has covered lifestyle, health and women’s issue-based stories during her tenure. She is currently working as a freelance writer and has blogged for online sleep start-up Sunday Mattress that offers an exclusive range of mattresses and other sleep accessories.