Last Updated on November 4, 2021 by Kravelv
It’s not everyday that you purchase a garage door so you’re going to want to make the moment you do count. After all, a new garage door can greatly improve your home’s form and function, resulting in an optimal return on investment for you. To make the most out of getting a new garage door, however, you have to arm yourself with a few basics. The more you know, the easier you’ll be able to choose the best garage door for you.
Also Read: Creating a garage from shipping containers
Types of Garage Doors
Garage doors are categorized according to operation. Some of the basic types are sliding, folding, up-and-over, roll-up, swing out, and swing up.
Swing-out carriage-house doors, also known as barn doors, are a good choice if you are looking to keep the ceiling clear for storage or aesthetic purposes. They are characterized by distinctive vertical lines and seal very well at the header and side jambs.
Sectional garage doors are also common in the US. They feature several horizontal panels hinged together and fitted with rollers, with the entire door riding on two parallel tracks and fitted with a heavy-duty torsion spring to counterbalance the door’s weight. Sectional garage doors come in various decorative styles, and may or may not have windows.
What to Choose: Factors to Consider
Given the kind of effect that a new garage door will have on your home, it is important to make sure that you choose the right one for you. Your garage door installer will be there to offer you feedback on the options available to you while taking note of these factors will also help you narrow down your choices:
- Design and Style. Garage doors come in different styles, sizes, and colors, with models for both traditionally and contemporary-styled homes and accessories to boot. The key is to choose a garage door that will complement your home’s overall theme and style.
- Garage doors may be made of steel, aluminum, vinyl or wood, all of which have something to offer you. Steel is naturally durable while wood can’t be beat when it comes to aesthetics. Aluminum and vinyl, on the other hand, are virtually maintenance-free and yet still tough and great to look at. Opt for a material that will address your needs and preferences the most.
- If improving energy efficiency in your home is one of your goals this year, getting an insulated garage door will help your efforts at making wiser use of energy at home while boosting your comfort levels.
- Different garage doors will feature different locking mechanisms. Choose what will give you the most peace of mind.
- Good warranty coverage is an assurance of quality because generous terms signify that manufacturers are confident about the construction and design of their products.
Caring for Your Garage Door: Quick Tips
- Clean garage door regularly.
- Keep moving parts lubricated and free from debris.
- Ensure proper operation.
- Schedule routine inspections.
- Carry out needed repairs as soon as possible with garage door repair professionals.
To learn more about garage doors and how you can make the most out of getting a new one, don’t hesitate to give your local garage door installer a call today.
Jeff Varney started working full-time with Automatic Garage Door Company in 2004 but has been involved in the business since 1994. Aside from being a garage door installation expert, he also manages the company’s marketing efforts. In his free time, he updates the company blog and serves as a North Royalton High School youth wrestling coach.