Everyone knows that windows lend more to the home than mere aesthetics. They are excellent sources of light, ventilation, and views. That there are numerous windows styles available on the market today, however, can be both a boon and a bane to a homeowner: Faced with the task of deciding which types of windows to have installed in the home, having so many available choices can make finding the perfect style quite a challenge.
Each type of window offers unique features and benefits that other styles do not or cannot. Picture windows, for example, offer an outstanding viewing experience, thanks to their expansive glass area – a feature that double-hung windows might not be able to duplicate. In the same manner, the ventilation benefits of double-hung windows cannot be found in a picture style window.
When it comes to choosing new windows, two of the top features most homeowners look for are aesthetics and ventilation. The reason is pretty simple: we rely on our windows to provide beauty and character because they are among the most noticeable parts of our home, and we also recognize the crucial role they play in our overall comfort. Both bay and sliding windows are among those that lend the home both remarkable beauty and functionality.
All About Bay Windows
Bay windows are among the most sophisticated of window types you can add to your home design. Composed of three windows grouped together in an angled design, bays usually feature a fixed center window flanked by either casement or double-hung units. They differ from bow windows only in that the latter is up of four to six window units. Perfect for classical homes like Victorians and Queen Annes, bay windows are ideal if you like to take advantage of gorgeous outdoor views or to make the most of your home’s floor space.
These windows are excellent at adding drama to both the exterior and interior of your home. Because they jut out from your home’s exterior, they offer an interesting visual element from the outside while adding a little bit of space to your interior.
Unique Benefits of Bay Windows
Known for their natural charm and elegance, bay windows are a great addition to any home. They improve the appeal of your home from the inside, all while making it equally attractive from the outside. Here are some of the best real-world benefits of bay windows:
- Enhanced daylight. Not only do they offer a panoramic view of the outside world through their expansive glass area, they also practically invite the sun into your home. Their angled design encourages natural light to enter from different directions, allowing for a more effective daylighting source than traditional flat windows.
- Increased sense of space and additional floor space. With their strategic design and angular form, bay windows help create a heightened sense of space. They also actually increase your floor space due to their protruding design. The extra space they create can be used as a seating area, a display nook or even as a storage solution.
- Ventilation Control. Since they’re made up of three windows, you can enjoy fresh breezes from two or more directions, instead of just one. They help circulate air around the home, making them a preferred option for many homeowners.
Their timeless elegance makes them a perfect addition to living rooms, where most families spend time together along with friends and other guests. They are also perfect in other areas around the home. For instance, imagine your bedroom bathing in abundant morning light while offering a picturesque view from the moment you open your eyes. Bay windows can also be beneficial in dining rooms for the ventilation and impressive views they offer.
All About Sliding Windows
Sliding windows are similar to double-hung windows, except they open from side to side instead of up and down. A lot of homeowners prefer this window style, which is easy to operate and maintain. These windows are opened and closed by gliding their panels along a track. Because they don’t involve much effort to operate, cleaning and maintenance is practically hassle-free. Moreover, they don’t have the springs and pulleys often found on other window styles. This means they are less prone to damage and can last longer than other alternatives. Most importantly, they offer a clean, sleek design that can complement both traditional and contemporary homes.
Unique Benefits of Sliding Windows
Not all window styles offer the same benefits. Some are great at enhancing air circulation around the home while others shine at highlighting the gorgeous outdoor views. With sliding windows, you enjoy the best of both worlds.
- Easy operation. Sliding windows need minimal effort to open and close. Their panels glide smoothly along track rollers; all you need to do is release the latch and push the window sideways.
- Picturesque views. Sliding windows are usually wider than other window styles because of the way they operate. Their large panels offer a seamless indoor-outdoor transition, providing your home with an ever-changing backdrop. Make the most of your views by combining sliding windows with picture windows.
- Minimal maintenance. These windows also have fewer components than conventional window styles, making them a low-maintenance option for homeowners. They only require an occasional wipe with a rag and some water or a cleaning solution.
Sliding windows are ideal for almost every part of the home, especially in the kitchen, bathroom, and bedrooms.
Every homeowner wants to maximize his or her window investment. To do so, you need to find the perfect window design that suits the needs of your home and that is big on function and value. Bay and sliding windows are some of your best choices. Contact a trusted window contractor today to learn more about your window options!
Andy Stellpflug is the owner of Renewal by Andersen®️ of Wyoming. He was born and raised in Wyoming on what is now a four-generation ranch with over a century of history. He has a love of the outdoors and is an avid hunter and fisherman. He grew up riding horses and working cattle. Andy has worked in the window business since 2004 and has continued to grow his business skills. He has acquired a reputation as being honest, fair and hardworking. He is dedicated to his customers and his staff, seeing each job through to completion with a focus on customer satisfaction and exemplary service.