We all love the look and feel of a solid hardwood floor, and scratches are part and parcel of having hardwood floors, but you will be pleased to learn that there are things you can do to reduce the risk of scratches, and with that in mind, here are a few ways to keep your hardwood floors scratch free.
- Use Furniture Floor Pads – You can buy special pads that are made from neoprene rubber, and they are great for preventing scratches on your wooden floors. They are fitted onto the legs of furniture items, and can even be cut to shape, so you cannot see them when in place.
- Use a High-Quality Timber Sealant – If you buy the right product and use this when polishing the floors, using your hardwood floor cleaner and buffer machine will ensure an extra layer of protection, which will reduce the risk of scratches. When you consider the cost of hardwood flooring, you are advised to invest in a good hard floor cleaning machine, which will ensure that your hardwood floors are always looking at their very best. This type of machine would be cordless and have a lithium battery that is detachable for easy recharging, and with around 30 minutes of cleaning and polishing time, it is more than enough for any floor.
- Remove Shoes – This is one way to prevent scratches on your timber flooring, and after a while, it will be second nature for family members to remove their shoes when entering the house. You could always buy a few pairs of house slippers and ask people to wear them when they visit, and this will greatly reduce the risk of scratches and scuff marks on your hardwood floor. There is also a great article on how to prevent scratches on a hardwood floor, which is recommended reading for all. The soles of shoes can easily pick up small stones, and they can cause scratches to your flooring, which might not be noticeable at first.
- Clever Use of Rugs – If you place rugs in the right locations, this can help to prevent scratching, and you might want to stick some non-slip rug pads on the corners, which will stop the rug from moving across the floor.
- Keep a Tin of Timber Stain – In the event, your hardwood floor gets scratched, you can rub in some wood stain, which will render the scratch invisible. Obviously, the stain should be the same shade as the floor, and with regular polishing with a hard floor cleaning machine, your hardwood floors will always look like they were just installed.
If you want your hardwood floors to always look their best, you are advised to invest in a top-quality hard floor cleaning machine, which will prove invaluable over the years. If you clean and polish your hardwood floor on a regular basis, it will always look shiny and clean, and by adding a few coats of wax, the floor will build up a protective layer.