Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
You probably already know how costly and time-consuming home remodeling projects can be. This is especially true when they involve your home’s exterior components, including your roofing, siding, and gutters. Because these are highly visible from the curb, you need to make sure they make the biggest impression. Here are three easy ways to ensure that your home exterior makeover runs without a hitch:
- Choose the right material. Aside from your choice of contractor, material selection is likely the most important decision you’ll make in your home improvement. Moreso if the project is roof replacement. The material you choose for your new system will determine how long it lasts and how well it stands up against extreme weather conditions. That’s why you need to weigh in each options’ pros and cons before making your decision. There are a variety of excellent roofing materials available in today’s market, including:
- Asphalt Shingles. A favorite among homeowners across the country, asphalt shingles are versatile enough to fit in with most residential and commercial architecture. They come in a wide selection of colors, textures, and finishes, allowing for extensive design possibilities. In fact, they can emulate the rich look and feel of premium roofing materials like slate and wood shakes — at only a fraction of the cost. Shingles are lightweight, which makes them easier and faster to install. Because they don’t require an additional support structure to hold them up, you can also save money on labor costs.
That’s not to say that this material is only good for aesthetics and cost-efficiency. Today’s shingles are designed with superior weather protection and lasting performance in mind. They can effectively resist wind, hail, water, and fire. Some are even treated with cooling technology to keep your home more comfortable during summer, minus the high energy costs. At the same time, it protects your roofing system from premature wear and tear due to excessive heat.
Keep a sturdier, better-performing roof over your head by choosing the material that best suits your home.
- This material offers a number of distinctive features, allowing for improved weather performance and energy efficiency. Metal roofing comes in galvanized steel, copper, tin, and aluminum. Depending on the material, plus expert installation from a trusted roofing company, this option can last up to 70 years. Metal is lightweight yet durable, effectively shedding rain and snow. Most metal roofing systems also come with Class A fire resistance. This makes them a safer choice than wood in the event of thunderstorms, as metal disperses the electricity harmlessly through the structure.
Metal roofing’s clean and simple lines can give your home a sleeker, more finished look. It’s also available in a variety of colors and styles. Metal roofing’s inherent reflective properties can be augmented with the right coating, which reduces heat transfer. This allows for cooler, more comfortable rooms and significant energy savings. Additionally, metal is fully recyclable, helping reduce the amount of waste material finding its way to landfills.
When choosing your roofing material, take into account your home’s specific needs. Does the roof match your home’s architecture? Is it suitable for your region’s weather patterns and environment? Can it improve energy efficiency? Basing your choice on the answers to these might make your selection a whole lot easier.
- Hire a reliable home improvement company. Planning your exterior makeover can be a worry-free experience if you turn to a trusty contractor for the job. DIY may be tempting, but it takes a professional to ensure timely and efficient workmanship. Don’t just take on any old contractor who claims quality work, however. You’ll be relying heavily on their expertise to keep everything on track, so make sure that you have all the essentials covered. Here’s what to look for when looking to hire the best exterior contracting service:
Hiring a trusted home improvement company goes a long way in ensuring that your project remains on budget and on schedule.
- Check for the necessary business license, which makes them eligible to perform home improvement work in your area. You should also ask for proof of insurance, including workers’ compensation and liability coverage. Should anything go wrong during the project’s course, insurance can protect you from potential litigation and additional costs.
- Familiarity with Local Codes and Regulations. You’ll want a home improvement contractor who doesn’t take shortcuts with the projects to work on. They should apply for the applicable building permit to ensure that the work complies with codes and regulations. This helps keep you safe in your home while letting you avoid fines, litigation, or even forced the removal of your investment.
- Good Online Presence. Aside from a physical business address and a working phone, your contractor should also have a professional website. You can look them up on Angie’s List to give you an idea of their quality of work. It’s also an opportunity to check if they have satisfactory scores and reviews.
- List of References. These offer another way to determine how your contractor does business. Do they communicate well? Are they professional? You’ll know by looking at their work and talking to previous clients.
- Manufacturer Certifications. This means that they meet stringent testing and training standards set by the brands they represent. A manufacturer certification allows you access to some of the highest quality products available. It also ensures that your contractor can provide expert workmanship that adheres to quality standards.
- Your contractor should have solid, extensive warranties included with the products they carry. These should cover both materials and installation, providing an extra layer of protection for you and your investment.
Spruce up your home by focusing more on its visible design elements, like your siding, windows, and gutters.
- Consider your next home improvement project. It’s never too early to plan your next exterior upgrade. Take a look outside your home and note which components need sprucing up. You can, for example, invest in a replacement if your siding is already showing signs of extensive damage. New vinyl siding can improve your home’s look and feel. It’s durable and great for insulation, ensuring that air and moisture don’t leak into your home. Vinyl siding is also available in an assortment of colors and styles that help create a bigger impression from the curb.
If you prefer, you can upgrade your windows. Given how they add to your home’s beauty, comfort, and energy efficiency, you need to make sure they’re always in tip-top shape. Replace worn and failing units with newer, better ones from a trusted home improvement contractor. They offer tighter seals that prevent significant energy loss while keeping a pleasant indoor environment for your home all year round.
Don’t overlook your gutters, either. Their draining ability ensures that your home remains dry and damage-free when it rains. Invest in a replacement when they’re irreparable and top them off with a gutter protection system. This way, your new gutters can deliver superior draining performance, minus the frequent cleaning and maintenance.
Planning your home upgrades accordingly allows for a safer, smoother process. This also helps you make more informed decisions about your home improvement. Should you find difficulties along the way, it never hurts to turn to a premier contractor in your area.
Bob Baker is the owner of Hinkle Roofing, the premier roofing company serving Birmingham, Alabama, and surrounding area. With his professional team and high-quality products from the leading manufacturers, Bob continues to provide quality solutions to homeowners’ roofing needs. Hinkle Roofing also specializes in siding, gutter, and window replacement.