Last Updated on March 4, 2022 by Kravelv
How your home looks and feels is very important, after all you spend a lot of time in your home and if you don’t like the look or style of your home it can have quite an effect on not only your mood, but your overall health as well. The good news is you don’t HAVE to live in a home you feel uncomfortable in and whether you want to do some DIY renovating yourself, or you want to call in the professionals, from a makeover of one room, to a whole house there are ways of achieving your dreams on a budget.
- Write down EVERYTHING you want to get accomplished during your renovation project – from new taps to new light fittings.
- What kind of design do you want? Is there a specific *look* you want to achieve? Before you go too far you need to know what kind of design you actually want. You can choose a style that matches your personality, or, you can choose a style that matches the house or room.
- Now that you have picked out the design and you know what you want to achieve you need to set a budget for your project. You also need to work out how long you want the work to take. Any project can soon get out of hand and expenses can add up quickly, so always keep an eye on costs and try to stay within budget.
- Make any and all decisions based on your budget – remember it’s a lot easier to change your plans BEFORE you start than it is to make changes once your project has begun. If you have started your project and decide to change things it can have an effect on not only your budget, but your home as well.
- Decide what room you want to start with and stick with that – for example if you want to re-do your bathroom or kitchen but you know re-doing a bedroom is more important – start with that room first.
- Don’t get side-tracked. Work out which are the most important rooms to get done and do them first. If you are careful with your budget, you can perhaps renovate other rooms later.
- Don’t overlook the project, take it a room at a time. An interior design project can seem very daunting at first, and it can seem like a LOT of work and *too much bother*, so break your renovation down to simple steps – you will find your projects becomes a lot more manageable.
- Remember *Rome wasn’t built in a day* so it is important to stay focused.
If you are thinking of renovating your home you need to get your plan in writing, set it out from start to finish. Too many people forget this very simple step in the rush to get started and this can have a dramatic effect on both their wallets and their project. Take your time, decide what you want to achieve and how to get there.