Last Updated on February 15, 2022 by Kravelv
Patio doors offer an opportunity to make a room look bigger and more attractive, and give a better view of the outdoors. They also allow convenient access to a deck, and let natural light into a living space. Indeed, patio doors can prove to be a good investment, and you can make the most out of them if you know the things that you should look for and consider.
Top Considerations When Shopping for Patio Doors
To make sure that you’re making the right choice, below are some of the aspects that I encourage you to consider carefully.
Price – Naturally, you’ll want to weigh if a product’s price is commensurate to its quality, reputation, material, and other determining factors. Aside from the initial cost, you must also take into consideration the long-term savings that the patio door can provide, if any.
Style – There are three basic styles to choose from – sliding, swinging, and folding. Choosing a patio door style does not only depend on aesthetics – also, functionality should be prioritized.
Space – A Swinging patio door needs room so it can open and close smoothly. When choosing a patio door, consider factors such as which way the door will swing and what furniture and ornament placements may be in the way.
Material – Design options can be endless, but you should also look at the material that the patio doors are made from, and its benefits.
- Fiberglass – Offers the look and feel of wood, but made to withstand any weather challenges.
- Aluminum – A lightweight and strong material; corrosion-resistant.
- Steel – Strong and durable and performs well in most climates.
- Vinyl – A strong plastic material known for its durability and affordability.
- Wood – Offers an elegant appeal and can raise a home’s value.
- Clad-wood – Wood with a strong layer of metal that provides extra protection.
Maintenance – If you want to save time and money in the long run, it would help to choose a material that is easy to maintain.
Energy Efficiency – When shopping for a patio door, prioritizing energy efficiency is very important. Depending on the typical climate in your location, you can enjoy the return on your investment in the form of reduced energy costs. Some factors to take note of include R-value, U-factor, special glass coatings, and Low-E glass, among others.
More Tips on Buying Patio Doors
To make shopping for patio doors easier, and to make sure that you’re getting the right product for your home and preference, here are some more tips.
- Make sure the measurements are correct. If you are inexperienced, it is best to ask someone more knowledgeable or better yet, a professional, to do the measuring for you.
- Ask the manufacturer’s representative about the additional features of the product you are eyeing to purchase. Ask them how it affects the performance of the door and how it will benefit you in general. Some features to ask about include condensation treatments, locking systems, and Energy Star certification, to name a few.
- Learn more about the warranty that comes with the unit to make sure that you get good after-sales support.
Sheaun Smith is a project manager at Renewal by Andersen of St. Louis . He brings 15 years of experience in construction to the table, and has tackled projects on all sizes. For him, the customer’s needs are an utmost priority. Thus his team endeavors to make every client they meet satisfied with their work. Sheaun loves to share his insight on the construction industry.