Last Updated on June 22, 2023 by Kravelv
Skylights are a great way to bring in more natural light and provide a pleasant and relaxing atmosphere for you and your family. However, before you decide to purchase skylights for your home, you need to find out more about the installation process so you won’t run into any complications in the future.
Learn how to add a skylight in your living space by reading below.
What Is A Skylight?
A skylight, often referred to as a sunroom, is a special lighting system that forms or covers part or all of the building’s roof area for the purpose of daylighting. Most skylights are made from glass, although they can also be made from other materials such as plastic and even metal.
Here are some essential things to know about how a skylight works:
- One benefit of using glass is that the glass is often sealed. As the heat rises inside the room, the glass can refract the heat upward to the skylight itself.
- As the glass is heated, the temperature can rise as well, making it easier to get the glass to remain cool.
- Once the glass is cool, the temperature inside the skylight will be lower than the surrounding atmosphere. However, the glass can become brittle and break if it’s constantly being exposed to too much heat. That is why proper maintenance of your skylight is a must.
Decide Where To Install Your Skylight
These are generally placed in the attic, or in rooms that are higher up on the roof, and can be as large as a whole skylight unit. The actual design and size of the skylight vary depending on the extent of the space and your personal preferences.
In most cases, a skylight is made with one main pane of glass, which is usually made of glass that has been tempered. This allows for the glass to bend and reflect light, while being highly durable and lightweight. Once you’ve already decided on the position of this new home feature, it’s crucial to learn how to measure a skylight if you’ll be taking the DIY route.
Prepare Your Roof
Measure the pitch or slope of your roof before you purchase a skylight by using a level and a ruler on the side. Measure the roof run height and roof run to calculate the pitch or slope.
Consider Your Home’s Lighting Needs And Overall Theme
The first thing that you should do when you’re looking to purchase a skylight is to choose a design that’s going to be in keeping with the overall theme of your home. Skylights comes in different window design, shapes, and panel colors. Once you’ve decided on a skylight design that fits your home, you can move forward with figuring out how to add a skylight to your living space.
The right skylight for your windows depends on the type of light that you want and its size. If you want natural lighting, choose a single-color blind or opt for a double-colored skylight that has two or three colors of glass. Similarly, if you want to install a skylight that provides full-colored light, then you should opt for a double-colored glass that has three different hues of glass.
Choose The Best Skylight Design
Skylights can transform the look of your home. They’re often used to provide heat and light in an area that would otherwise be dark. If you don’t have enough interior lighting. If you want to help save energy, then a skylight may be just the thing you need. By choosing the right design, skylights provide a great view of the outdoors during the winter months and provide adequate lighting in the summer months.
Take a look at the following skylight design ideas:
- You can choose a skylight with double panes, allowing for brighter light in all directions. Some models of skylights have two panes of glass, while others only have one.
- Skylights can come in a wide range of shapes and sizes, depending on what’s available. Choosing between the traditional square shape or a circular shape is a matter of personal preference. There are skylights that look very nice, especially if they’re built into a window frame or a chandelier style.
- Metal skylights are very popular because they’re available in a wide variety of styles and colors, and materials. They’re made using a variety of materials, including wood, steel, and aluminum.
- Consider installing skylight blinds to complete the overall look of your sunroom. The most popular types of skylight blinds are Roman and Venetian blinds. Both of these varieties are known for their stylish look but are also very suitable for indoor use. If you prefer a more traditional look to your house, then you can choose a white or off-white shade. On the other hand, you can go for a traditional black or shades of blue if you prefer something that is more sober and elegant. You can also go in for a combination of both these colors if you think it looks good.
Choose High-Quality Skylights
Be certain that the skylight that you’re going to install is capable of handling high temperatures, wind, and even rain. This will ensure that you do not experience any issues and you can enjoy their benefits to the fullest.
When it comes to installing skylights you also need to take care of the base. A base is basically the support for the skylight and it is responsible for holding the skylight in place. You can choose between wooden bases or aluminum bases depending upon your choice and your budget. Also, it’s advisable that you choose the base that allows you to mount your skylight at a convenient height.
Insert The Skylight
Since you already know how to choose the best skylight design and material for your home, it’s time to install it. Here’s how to insert the skylight into the opening of your roof:
- Prepare the opening by sheathing, which is a layer that fits beneath the skylight to prevent water leaks.
- Get the skylight onto the roof by passing its frame through the opening. You can ask for extra help, holding the frame from the inside and bringing it via the roof opening. It will make the skylight more secure and reduce the likelihood of dropping it or damaging the window.
- Secure the skylight onto the roof by putting screws into the metal brackets on the skylight frame’s sides.
Skylights are typically placed on the building’s roof to allow for better lighting. Installing a skylight in your home involves considering your home’s lighting needs and overall theme, preparing the roof, and choosing high-quality material, and creating an appealing design. Following the tips and steps above will better equip you with the right knowledge and skills to complete the installation process.