Last Updated on March 24, 2022 by Kravelv
Timing is vital when it comes to home remodeling. You don’t want to wait until extensive damage has compromised your home’s look and feel. At the same time, you need to know for sure that your home needs one. So when do you know when it’s time for a remodel, and how do you know what needs to be done? Here are some tips to help you get started:
Inspect Your Home
One of the first things you can do is to take a walk around your home. Be on the lookout for areas due for an upgrade and those that require prompt fixing. This way, you’ll know which projects you can prioritize. If you need to work with a budget, for instance, more luxurious upgrades that do not directly improve your home’s overall comfort and energy efficiency will have to wait. As you’re inspecting your home, take note of the following:
- Obvious indications of damage. Water streaks on your exterior and pooling water around the foundation may indicate a clogged and failing gutter system. Cracking, buckling, and missing shingles may be the reason for roof leaks inside your home, while recurring cold drafts in your living spaces may be caused by gaps, cracks, and rot on your siding. All of these point to speedy repair work or replacement from a pro as the best fix.
One of the essential components you can focus on are your windows
Make sure to include your windows and doors on your home inspection checklist. After all, these components play an essential role in your home’s appearance, comfort, and energy efficiency. Check them for signs of damage, including failing seals, broken glass, peeling trim color, jamming, and sticking. If they display some or all of these indications, turn to a trusted window and door company for a lasting solution.
- Increased energy bills. Another good way to determine which action to carry out in a home remodel is to take your property’s energy efficiency into account. If you’re seeing a spike in your energy bill, it can be that damage has already created openings that’s allowing indoor air to leak out and outdoor air to get in, disrupting your home’s indoor environment. Where these openings are located will clue you in on where to do some remodeling.
Make sure you’ve got your bases covered by working only with a pro!
Consult a Reliable Home Remodeling Company
If you want to make sure you haven’t missed anything, it pays to turn to a trusty home remodeler for an inspection. Given their keen eye for damage, a remodeling contractor can check your home’s condition and suggest which areas need a definite boost. This will give you greater ease of mind knowing you’ll have all your bases covered.
Depending on the inspection results, your remodeling company can either recommend a slight spruce-up or something more extensive. As mentioned, focus on essential home components that contribute greatly to your home’s form and function, such as windows and doors. If they are already old and failing, the best course of action to take is a replacement. In fact, investing in window or door replacement is one of the easiest ways to improve your home’s look and feel.
Advantages of Window and Door Replacement
Match your new windows and doors to your home with ease!
- Enhanced beauty. High-quality replacement windows will give your home’s curb appeal an incredible boost, available in a wide selection of styles that can help preserve your property’s architectural and historical accuracy. For example, clean and simple double hung windows are standard in traditional homes, such as Colonials, French Tudors, and Craftsmans. Bay windows,on the other hand, fit well with the unique and mysterious vibe of Victorian homes, while sleek picture windows look excellent on more modern homes. To add to the rustic charm of Cottage and Cabin homes, choose casement windows. You can also create a stunning focal point on empty wall space with window combinations or a set of specialty units.
Like windows, replacement patio doors come in a variety of styles. The timeless look of hinged French doors can add a touch of elegance to your space. Their wide opening allow for considerable foot traffic, which makes entertaining guests over the weekend a breeze. If you want to give your home a modern update, sliding patio doors will do just the trick. Their space-saving advantage and smooth operation make them an attractive home feature.
- Improved comfort and energy efficiency. New windows and doors also mean tighter seals that can prevent significant energy loss. This means thermally comfortable living spaces all year, with warmer rooms in the winter and cooler spaces during summer. Make sure your replacement window or door comes with an ENERGY STAR label to help you ensure that your choice meets stringent standards in energy-efficiency.
ENERGY STAR ratings reflect overall performance but energy efficiency can also be influenced by window design. For instance, picture windows are the most energy-efficient because they are inoperable, meaning they can’t be opened or closed. This gives the window style a tighter seal than others that’s better at keeping indoor air in and outdoor air out. Picture windows also have larger expanses of glass that may be harnessed for some passive heating during the warmer months to ease heating requirements.
Keep outdoor noise to a minimum with new patio doors and windows
- Reduced noise transmission. Dogs barking, vehicles coming and going, crying children–you no longer have to worry about those disrupting you. This is because as energy-efficient windows and doors insulate from air leaks, they also keep out noise, allowing you to enjoy peace and quiet in your home.
- Increased home value. Remodeling gives you an opportunity to bump up your home’s value by improving its form and function. Even when you’re not looking to sell, knowing that you have a property of value can make living in your home a more rewarding experience.
Knowing when to invest in a home remodel and which projects to prioritize ensures that you get your property back into shape in record time without further compromises. Just make sure that you work only with reliable professionals in your area to ensure that you make the most of your decision to remodel.
Passionate about providing homeowners with the best window and door solutions around, Nick Peterson is the marketing manager for Renewal by Andersen locations in Houston, St. Louis and Kansas City. Outside work, his passions extend to his family, music, animal welfare, and the environment. Check out the company blog to catch updates from Nick!