There’s something appealing about the idea of tackling home improvement projects on your own. You may think that by doing it yourself, you can save on costs and gain a sense of pride. The reality is that some remodeling projects are better left to the professionals. After all, expert contractors have the right skills, tools, and experience to handle tasks that are difficult, time-consuming and downright unpleasant.
If your home is in need of new doors and windows, you might be considering whether it would be better to get rid of your old windows and install new ones on your own or to have a professional do the job. While you may be able to install your new windows correctly if you have construction training and the right tools, in the vast majority of cases, you’re better off working with a professional door and window company. Here’s a closer look at why professional door and window replacement is always the best choice, and how to get the replacement process started.
Door and Window Replacement: A Systematic Process
Home improvement projects can increase the value of your home, make it more comfortable, and prepare it for the coming season. Your doors and windows are some of the most significant parts of your home; they can influence the way your home performs in terms of beauty, comfort and energy efficiency. Installing new doors and windows takes expertise and experience, however, along with a tried and tested process that consistently becomes more innovative over time. The entire process involves specific steps requiring the skills of a door and window specialist.
Allow us to break down the process of replacing old doors and windows. First, the walls, spaces, and frames are measured accurately to make sure the replacement units to be installed fit perfectly, complementing the overall design of a room’s interior and exterior. Next, the areas near the doors and windows are cleared to prevent accidents and damage to furniture during the removal and installation process. The installation crew should wear protective gear and cover your valuables for additional protection. After clearing the area, old doors and windows are carefully removed in such a way that keeps dust and debris at a minimal level.
The replacement units are installed, then adjusted and aligned to ensure proper fit before being sealed and insulated. After making sure your new doors and windows are working as they should, the installation crew will apply trims. With everything in place, the work area is cleaned, making it look like nothing happened.
Why It’s Better to Hire a Pro
With the seemingly simple process we’ve discussed above, it’s easy for some homeowners to think that they can pull off replacing their own doors and windows. Trust us when we say it’s not as easy as it looks. Door and window replacement requires accuracy, precision, and patience to successfully carry out. Not to mention that hiring a pro for the job offers additional benefits, such as:
- Saved time and effort. Due to the complex process involved, a single replacement project can take an expert several hours to complete, which means it will take an amateur much longer. You will also have to spend time purchasing the required tools and materials, while a pro already has these at their disposal.
- Ensured safety. Anything that involves potential hazardous situations should be a left to professionals. When it comes to door and window replacement, material mishandling and equipment misuse can result in major problems. A professional, on the other hand, never go into a project without the right preparation and knowledge. They are also equipped with the right gear to ensure everyone’s safety in the work area.
- Necessary permits obtained. Many homeowners aren’t familiar with the different permits required to carry out a door and window replacement project. Experts, on the other hand, know which types of permits are needed and the process required to obtain them.
- Access to quality products. Standard doors and windows can be bought at your local hardware store. While they are cheaper than branded ones, they aren’t customized, which can be troublesome for your home over the long haul. Professional contractors have access to high-quality doors and windows made by the country’s top manufacturers, alongside a wide range of customization options. This means no matter the style, color or size of door or window you’re looking for, you’re sure to get the right options for your needs.
- Warranty protection. You can say goodbye to your replacement door and windows’ warranties once you attempt to install them on your own. This is because manufacturers typically grant exclusive warranties only when their products are installed by their certified contractors.
While door and window replacement is certainly not something you should do on your own, it’s still a great idea for you to learn and understand the basics of the process. This way, you can discuss with your chosen contractor knowingly, making sure important steps are covered during the installation for best results.
Dawn Dewey is the marketing director for Dreamstyle Remodeling. One of Professional Remodeler Magazine’s 40 Under 40 for 2015, she is responsible for spreading the company’s name far and wide. When she’s not lending homeowners a hand with their door and window replacement projects, she is involved in animal welfare, the environment, and civil rights. Check out the company blog for updates from Dawn!