Last Updated on March 28, 2022 by Kravelv
Did you know that, of all the complaints brought to the attention of the Better Business Bureau (BBB), most have something to do with roofing? And did you know that roofing scammers, who dupe homeowners out of hundreds, even thousands of their hard-earned dollars, advertise pretty widely in newspapers and often appear in online ads as well, offering to fix your home’s repair issues for a song? These are two very compelling reasons why you should know what to look for in a residential roofing contractor. If you ever need repairs or replacements carried out in your home, being cognizant of the ideal qualities to search for will certainly make the job of finding a reliable roofer a whole lot easier.
Knowing the Qualities to Look For
Roof repair or replacement is an expensive investment. It will cost thousands — at times your expense could hit as much as $40,000 or so, depending on your material choice and the size of your roof — which is why you need to be extremely careful in choosing a roofer for the job.
Keep in mind that your project’s success will depend mainly on the skills and knowledge of your contractor, so if you mistakenly hire an amateur roofer, you might end up spending on unnecessary repairs or find yourself having to have a shoddy job done over. Do not let this happen to you. It will take a bit of time and effort to do your research, but it’ll be worth it if you end up with a trustworthy roofing contractor who can do an excellent job at a price you can afford.
A typical roofing system lasts between 20 to 50 years, so many homeowners probably don’t have all that much experience finding a reliable contractor. You may ask, “What are the specific characteristics I should look for before hiring one?” Whether you need a simple repair or a complete replacement, below are a few essential qualities all roofing contractors should bring to the table.
Choosing the Right Roofing Contractor
Fixing or getting a new roof can be a demanding endeavor, but there’s no need to take on more stress than necessary. The key is to find an experienced and reliable roofing contractor to complete the job. Essentially, there are six qualities you should look for that point to an ideal roofer. Here’s what you need to know about these characteristics:
- Locally owned and operated – The number one reason you should hire a local contractor is that you’ll benefit from their local business connections. For one thing, they’ll be in a better position to help you purchase cost-effective materials and provide you with affordable labor. Roofers will need to haul equipment and other tools to address your roof’s problems, and the mere fact that your contractor operates within your vicinity means that travel expenses and distance to the site won’t become yet another issue.
In addition, a local contractor can recommend the best options suited to your needs, as they are knowledgeable about your area’s weather patterns and environment. For example, if you’re living in the northern or central part of Connecticut, you need to find materials that can work well with its humid continental climate. Your contractor should be able to recommend products that can withstand the region’s cold winters, frequent snowfalls, and hot, humid summers.
Local contractors have built a name for themselves within the communities they serve. With a reputation to uphold, personalized customer service becomes the norm–to your benefit.
- Manufacturer-Certified – Not all roofers have the same level of experience, skills, or knowledge of various techniques. When you hire a manufacturer-certified roofer, you can expect huge advantages, including full shingle product lines, high-quality installation techniques, unmatched roofing skills, and industry-leading warranties. Look for a contractor certified by industry leaders, such as GAF®, Owens Corning®, and CertainTeed, and you’ll enjoy tons of benefits for your home.
- Easily Reachable – Reliable roofers deliver speedy roofing services. They know that the sooner they can get to your home, the sooner they can fix any issue, and the sooner you can get back to enjoying your abode, sans the stress.
- Provides an Impressive Selection of Products – When selecting from different companies, you should take the time to review the list of products they offer. It’s always smart to choose a roofer that can provide a wide and impressive product selection, as you can be sure they can install something that perfectly complements your home’s design and requirements.
- Green Advocate – Most homeowners today are looking for ways to adapt a greener, more sustainable home design. This is why many are switching from regular systems to roofs that can boost energy efficiency and promote eco-friendliness. A reliable contractor knows this, and they do what it takes to provide homeowners with a roofing system that suits their customers’ preferences and lifestyle choices.
- Offers Lifetime Warranties – The results of a sloppy roofing job often does not show up immediately; it might take a year or so before it becomes noticeable. A roofer who provides strong warranties is one who has complete confidence in their work and product quality. Look for a contractor who offers a longer material and workmanship warranty period of, if possible, more than a year, to ensure you’ll be protected against additional expenses due to poor workmanship and product quality. Anything less might not give you the peace of mind you deserve.
The Nanfito name has been synonymous with construction in Connecticut for over 52 years, our President Vincent Nanfito founded V. Nanfito’s in January 1965. Vinny continues to be involved in the daily administration of V. Nanfito Roofing and Siding.