Virtually no other part of your home sees as much activity as the front door. It’s where you welcome guests and start and end each day, so your choice of a door – and the company who installs it – is important. The variety of options available in doors can be dizzying, but I’m here to simplify the process. Take note of this checklist to help you narrow down your selections and ensure you hire a qualified company for the installation.
- Determine what you want. There are many door options available to you. Research the different designs and material choices, starting with the most suitable choices for your home’s architectural style. Don’t forget to keep sample pictures of doors you might be interested in. This will help you communicate to your company exactly what you want when you meet for a consultation.
- Set a budget. Doing preliminary research on door options will give you an idea as to what sort of price range you’re looking at, given the choices you are interested in. Conversely, you can start off with a figure you know you can comfortably afford, then assess what your options are in that price range. Don’t hesitate to let your company know that you need to work within a budget – it’s a company’s job to find you the best option that will meet your budget without compromising on aesthetics or function.
Choosing the Right Door Contractor
The company you choose will greatly determine whether or not your door installation is a success, so it is important to choose the right company for your project. Some of the things you have to look for include:
- Licensing and insurance. Hire a company that is licensed, bonded and insured. This will help ensure that should anything go wrong, you and your home will be protected from financial liability. Local licensing is also an important indicator that a company is legitimate, helping you to avoid fly-by-night companies.
- You can always hire a general home improvement company, but it’s best to choose a company that specializes in installing doors. You’re much more likely to get quality workmanship from individuals who perform door installations day in and day out.
- Look for a company that can offer you a range of door options to consider. The selection process may take longer with more options to go over, but it is generally better to have more choices than to have limited ones. A great company will be there every step of the way to guide you.
- Once you’ve chosen a company, make sure you have a written contract in place before any work begins. Your contract should include all the details of the project, including a schedule and payment terms.
- Check with your company regarding available payment options.
- Prepare your home for installation day. Clear the immediate area around your door and cover nearby furniture to prevent debris accumulation or damage.
Wisconsin native Steve Grendahl moved to the Sacramento area 40+ years ago and began a career building fine custom homes. Along the way, he developed a great partnership with Sacramento native Brian Morris. Renewal by Andersen awarded Steve and Brian ownership of Renewal by Andersen® of Sacramento in August 2013. The team strives to bring top-quality customer service along with top-quality windows and doors to homeowners across the greater Sacramento region.