As you will have no doubt heard numerous times before, moving home is up there with the top three most stressful things you can possibly do in terms of modern life ventures.
If you are currently preparing to move house and the proverbial wheels are already in motion, or conversely, you are soon to be placing your home on the market and are planning on staying ahead of the game, then you have certainly come to the right place for information.
So here, for your reading pleasure, is everything you need to know about moving home – well, everything of any importance anyway!
Inform the Relevant Authorities & Individuals
One incredibly important aspect of moving home that you absolutely have to ensure you complete thoroughly and in a timely fashion is to ensure that you update your details with all the relevant companies, authorities, and individual people.
There is a multitude of people to inform regarding your change of address, and although this is not an extensive list, it covers the major companies:
- Utility providers such as gas, water, and electricity
- Your regional driving license provider
- Car, travel, medical, life, and pet insurance providers
- Your local council
- Your medical doctor and dentist
- Network TV license authority
- Government electoral roll
- Your internet and phone providers
Be Organized When it Comes to Packing
If you are in the position whereby the date on which you must vacate your current home is fastly approaching the horizon, then it is absolutely essential to be as efficient as possible when it comes to packing for your move.
You should also treat the process of packing up your belongings as a chance to declutter, which will provide you with the following benefits:
- The provision of more headspace
- A reduction in the feelings of stress and anxiety ahead of the move
- A way to relax and improve both the quality and duration of sleep
- An update to your home decor and style in your new place
- A way to make some extra cash if you can sell any new or unused items
If you are in the fortunate position of having the opportunity to access your new property before you have to vacate your old one, then start to move things over as soon as you have the keys. This way, you will be able to set your belongings in the correct rooms and locations and not be faced with a huge pile of boxes and furniture piled up when you officially move in.
Use the Services of a Removal Company
One of the demands of moving house is that you are required to upheave the entirety of your possessions from one space to another, and regardless of whether you have a multitude of luxury breakables or not, this enormous task should be handled with care.
To ensure optimum peace of mind when moving your belongings, it is strongly advisable to book the services of a reputable and renowned removal company, which will ensure the following points are taken care of:
- The avoidance of any accidents or injuries when carrying heavy items of furniture
- The option to book extras such as furniture assembly in your new home
- Invaluable professional advice, help, guidance, and assistance
- The ability to take advantage of product and valuable item insurance
- Access to a range of specialist equipment that will ensure the safety of your possessions during transit to your new home
Create a First Night Box
Finally, but just as important in ensuring the move is as seamless and stress-free as possible, it would be pertinent to make sure you have everything you need for the first night in your home by creating a first night box.
This way, especially if you have work or other important chores and tasks to do the following morning, you will not be scrabbling around trying to find everything you need amongst various piles of boxes.
Personal items for your first night box could be:
- Clothes, shoes, and accessories for work
- Toilet paper
- Nightwear and underwear
- First aid box
- Toiletries such as shampoo, conditioner, toothbrushes, and toothpaste
Food and drink for your first night box could include:
- Takeaway menus for the first night
- Breakfast items
- Bottles of water
- Paper cups and plates
- Tea, coffee, milk, and sugar
- Bread and butter
Pet items to pack for your first night are:
- Pet food
- Collar and leash (unless you have a goldfish!)
- Water and food bowls
- Litter trays
Children’s items to include could be:
- Favorite toys
- Night light
- Travel cot and other bedding
- Video games and consoles, books, art supplies, and other forms of entertainment
Other important items you could include are:
- Notebook and pens
- Bin liners
- Cleaning supplies
- Basic tools such as a hammer, wrench, and screwdriver
- Torch, candles, and a lighter
- Phone chargers
- Laptop and charger
- Extension cables
- Wet wipes and paper towels
Additionally, ensure that your important items, such as your passport, marriage certificate, tax paperwork, birth certificate, and driving license, are kept in a safe place and that such documentation does not get lost or damaged during the move.