Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Exterior doors serve a number of purposes, from welcoming your guests to keeping intruders at bay. Aside from these basic functions, however, exterior doors also affect your home’s appearance. As a conspicuous part of your property’s exterior, they can make or break your home’s curb appeal.
Exterior Doors and Home Curb Appeal: The Connection
Curb appeal is defined as the attractiveness of a property as seen from the street. It involves all exterior components of your property, including landscaping, paintwork, siding, roofing, windows, and doors. Put simply, it’s how beautiful your home looks from afar.
There are several ways your exterior doors can affect your home’s curb appeal:
- Doors can enhance your home’s overall architectural style. When chosen carefully, your exterior door won’t just complement but will also enhance your home’s architectural style.
- Doors can give the home an exterior focal point. If you want to keep the rest of your exterior simple, you can use your exterior door as the primary focal point by choosing a standout design and color.
- Doors can make your home look more welcoming. Since you are likely to greet your guests at the door, you want it to look inviting, not intimidating.
What Makes an Appealing Exterior Door
A door’s attractiveness doesn’t rely solely on style and design, although those are big factors. The overall quality of the door will also affect its appearance. Furthermore, you should remember that the quality of door materials and workmanship depend on the manufacturer and installer you choose.
To make sure you get an appealing exterior door, take the following into consideration:
- Durable materials – Top-quality materials provide stunning visual appeal backed by strong durability and weather resistance. If your exterior door is durable enough to resist common damage factors that can compromise its stability and appearance, it will remain functional and attractive for years.
- Lasting finishes – Looking good is great, but looking good longer is even better. Factory-finished doors tend to have finishes that don’t fade and chip easily, making for lasting good looks.
- Glass size – A door with expansive glass adds a touch elegance to any home, no matter the door’s design. Door windows add a distinct appeal and admit light inside the home without compromising privacy.
- Customization options – Custom sizes, grilles, and hardware allow you to design the perfect door to complement your home. Customizing your exterior doors so they perfectly match your home and needs is the best way to ensure a successful door replacement project.
Tips for a Standout Door
To make sure your door will make your home appear more elegant and welcoming, consider the following tips:
- Go bold with color – Don’t be afraid to choose a bold color for your door, as long as it still matches your home. For instance, if your exterior features colors in the warm spectrum, you might consider a red or yellow exterior door.
- Take advantage of available door glass options – If you are choosing an exterior door with glass, make sure to invest in products that are rated for energy efficiency. Low-emissivity (low-E) glass has a specialized metallic oxide coating that reflects away heat while letting in as much visible light as possible. Double glass panes with argon gas fills make for better insulation.
- Choose hardware carefully – Door handles and locking mechanisms should also match the style of the door and your home.
- Ensure symmetry – When overseeing the installation process, make sure symmetry is always taken into consideration.
- Highlight your door – You can do this by adding lighting fixtures to illuminate the doorway and showcase the door itself.
- Keep the door clean and well-maintained – Even if you choose a durable and low-maintenance door, it’s still important to care for it to ensure its long-term performance and beauty.
- Match doors and windows for uniformity – As exterior home components, doors and windows should match, tying together your home’s overall look. Use your home’s architectural style to guide you on which doors and windows to choose.
Investing in a New Exterior Door: Where to Start
Exterior door options abound, offering numerous choices to address whatever door needs you might have, whether you’re more concerned about improving your home’s appearance or functionality. To learn more about the options available to you and what they can do for your home, don’t hesitate to get in touch with a reputable door expert in your area today.
Kenneth Biddle has been in the home improvement industry for over 30 years. At Renewal by Andersen Dallas – Fort Worth, he specializes in window and door replacement, ensuring every homeowner gets exactly what they want and need with an expert team of professionals. For more updates from Kenneth, check out the company blog!