Home Improvement Ws: What Every Homeowner Should Consider
Last Updated on March 24, 2022 by Kravelv
Whether you built your own home from scratch or simply bought one, there will always be room for improvement. Needs change, after all. The good thing, however, is that you can take advantage of home improvement projects to address these needs. To help ensure you make the most of getting some home improvement done, consider the following:
Why Perform Home Improvement?
There are a number of reasons why homes would need to be improved. According to the 2015 National Association of Realtors Remodeling Impact Report, the top three reasons are:
- To upgrade features
- To Improve livability of the home
- To get a new look for the home
Most of the time, a home’s features require an upgrade because of technological advancements. For example, there was a time when wood was the preferred material for doors and window frames. Due to technology advancements, new materials such as the composite Fibrex has taken the industry by storm, offering improved strength and better energy efficiency. And when a home is energy-efficient, indoor temperature can be stabilized to your desired point, allowing you to enjoy better comfort.
IMPROVED HOME, IMPROVED VALUE. Home improvements make for better comfort, security, aesthetics, and energy efficiency, all of which translate to enhanced value.
And if it’s not function, form is the reason why people opt to get some home improvement done. Fortunately, you don’t have to go straight to a remodel just to breathe in new life into your home. Sometimes, a door or window replacement is all you need to give your home’s curb appeal a boost.
When to Do Home Improvements?
So, when would be the best time to take on a home improvement project? Unfortunately, there is no set schedule. In fact, home improvements can be done right after purchasing the home or a few years or even decades later.
To improve a home, however, you’re going to have to make sure you have sufficient funds. This is because you’re going to want to make sure that everything you want and need are indeed done. While it’s always a good idea to save on costs, you also have to know when to spend. Having sufficient funds will allow you take these liberties so you can enjoy the best benefits from your home improvement project. You get what you pay for, after all.
Where and What to Improve?
One of the more subtle reasons why homeowners choose to perform a home improvement project is because of ROI. Obtaining a higher resale value may not be the primary reason and may just be an added benefit, but every homeowner wants to improve their home’s value, of course.
The remaining questions are where would be the best places to increase your investment and what features would improve the home’s value? According to the 2015 Remodeling Impact Report, top three areas where home improvement projects increase a property’s value are kitchens, bathrooms, and master suites.
The improvements that appeal the most to prospective buyers are the kitchen, bathroom, and wood flooring. So, if you’re thinking of a home improvement project but you’re not quite sure where to start, then those areas would be the perfect choices.
WINDOW REPLACEMENT. This is a cost-efficient home improvement project that can improve your home’s comfort and value at a fraction of the cost.
However, if cost is a major consideration for you, renovating your kitchen, bathroom, or the master suite may not sit well with you. If you’re not prepared to spend that much money, then opt areas or features that would improve livability, such as better doors or windows. They can also increase your home’s value as they can improve the home’s overall function in terms of protection, energy efficiency, and comfort.
Other areas that would benefit from a home improvement project are the exteriors, including the patio, garden, sunroom, garage, pool, or deck. Improving these areas would not only increase the home’s value but also make for better curb appeal.
Other Home Improvement Considerations
Decided on getting home improvement? Here are a few things to keep in mind to help ensure the success of your project:
- Budget – As mentioned earlier, you’ll need to make sure that you have the necessary funds for the project. This may seem a bit too obvious, but you won’t believe how many homeowners fail to complete their home improvement projects just because they underestimated the amount of money they needed to finish. When you’re strapped for cash, you have to compromise, and sometimes that doesn’t always end well. To help you with the financial side of things, don’t hesitate to ask your contractor if they have promos or financing schemes in place you can take advantage of.
HIRING A PRO. Working with a reliable, experienced, and certified contractor can assure you of a successful home improvement project.
- Contractor – Unless you’re a highly qualified building contractor, you’ll likely need the services of professionals. Make sure that you hire a highly qualified contractor for your project and one of the best ways to ensure you’re doing just that is to ask for a list of their past projects. This will let you assess their capabilities and let you gauge if they can take care of your needs. Aside from checking references, also make sure that your contractor is properly licensed and insured.
- Design – Never underestimate the importance of the design phase as it will guide the rest of your home improvement project. Every detail counts! To ensure all your needs (and wants!) are incorporated, sit down and make a list of what you want to get out of your home improvement project before meeting with your designer.
- Value – Will your home improvement project be worth it? Value can be gauged in many ways, not just the market value or ROI. If the project improves the livability of your home or you imagine simply loving what you’re going to see everyday, then the project will have sufficient value to proceed.
There’s always room for improvement in every home and the key to getting the most out of a home improvement project is careful planning. From deciding on what areas of the home to improve to creating a design and hiring a contractor to do the job, creating a perfect plan will ensure the success of your project. Should you require assistance, don’t hesitate to get in touch with a trusted local contractor.
David Reber is the general manager for Renewal by Andersen of Kansas City. Thanks to his experience and proficiency as a home improvement expert, he has helped the company become a leader in the local window replacement scene. Passionate about helping homeowners find the right window and door solutions to their needs, he shares what he knows by writing in the company blog. Check it out for updates from David!