Your roof may be one of the things you often take for granted even though it is one of the most important features of your home. The roof protects our entire structure and is expected to withstand all kinds of weather. When there are repairs to be done or when your existing roof needs replacement, you best call in a professional roofing contractor.
Why? Licensed, experienced and knowledgeable roofing contractors are your best bet at being able to solve any issues related to your roof in the most efficient way possible. While DIY home improvement is rampant nowadays, it’s important to note that upgrading the roof isn’t one of those tasks easily tackled by an untrained individual. Working with a professional is important primarily because of these things:
- Roofing, in general, isn’t a DIY task. It involves complex processes that must be performed according to industry standards.
- A roofing project is a major upgrade, and is one of your most important investments. You don’t want to entrust it to an amateur.
- Homeowners can be sweet-talked into roofing scams, especially when they’re in a hurry to get things fixed after a disastrous storm. By working with a professional, you can rest easy knowing your project (and money) is in the right hands.
Most importantly, an expert roofing company can assure you of top-notch workmanship backed by a proven track record. Read on to learn more about the benefits of hiring a professional roofer, plus the specific qualities to look for in a roofing company.
Real-World Advantages of Hiring a Professional Roofer
When it comes time to repair or replace your roofing system, many homeowners waver between turning to a professional or doing the job on their own. Since your roof is such a crucial part of your home’s protection, its vital to get the job done right. Here are some of the top reasons to work with a professional roofer:
- Cost-effective. Professional roofers know the right materials and equipment to use. Doing an upgrade on your own, meanwhile, means shelling out the cash to buy the tools and materials you may need. This won’t just cost you time but could mean buying things you’re bound to use sparingly once the job is done.
- One of the top reasons to hire a team of experts is to ensure not just your safety as a homeowner, but also the safety of your home. You should never put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation, like climbing a ladder to repair or replace your roof on your own. Professional roofers always have the right safety equipment to make sure no one is injured on the job.
- Quick turnaround time. A professional team can, without a doubt, get your roofing project done quicker than an amateur can. Moreover, leaving things to the pros allows you more time to spend on your work, with friends and family, or simply relaxing.
Main Qualities of a Reliable Roofer
There are plenty of roofing companies out there, each one claiming to be the best. No matter how professional they sound though, not all of them act in a professional manner. Homeowners need to pay particular attention to this because roof repairs and installations are a significant investment. Roofing scams, which are more frequent after a natural disaster, can leave homeowners with a dysfunctional roof and an empty wallet.
With that in mind, it’s important to be able to distinguish between a professional roofing company and a fly-by-night roofer. Here are some of the things to look for:
1. Licensed and insured. A professional roofing company can present credentials. A state license, for instance, makes them eligible to perform roofing work in your region. Do they have insurance papers, including liability insurance and worker’s compensation coverage? Roofing projects are usually complex—you’ll certainly want to avoid the stress and potential expense of dealing with on-the-job accidents.
2. Experienced. A lot of roofing contractors don’t last longer than five years in the business. This is because homeowners are constantly looking for better options for their investment. If a roofer is still in business after 10 or even 20 years, you’re sure to be in good hands. No amount of research and watching DIY videos on YouTube will equate to the skills, experience and knowledge of an expert.
3. They have a local and permanent business address. Get yourself a roofer who won’t leave you high and dry after you’ve handed over your initial down payment. Professional roofers have a local and permanent business address, a working phone number and email, as well as an updated website. You can get in touch with them easily.
4. They guarantee their work. Material and workmanship warranties add a new layer of protection to your investment. An expert contractor will offer both types to protect you from any factory defects or workmanship errors.
Hiring a professional team for your roofing projects will definitely make your life easier, as well as give you more time for other more important matters. Be sure to call an expert roofer if you’re planning to invest in roof repairs or roof replacement.
Terry Klara is President and Operations Manager at DryTech Roofing & Home Solutions. With 25+ years of experience in the construction/building industry in the Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD area, Terry has gained a reputation as a problem solver and an expert at managing many complex ongoing construction projects at a time. Client-focused, he is admired by his industry colleagues and his customers alike for being professional, detail- oriented and organized. Since joining Drytech in 2010, he has regularly shared insightful articles on the company blog. https://www.linkedin.com/pub/terry-klara/65/931/801