Last Updated on March 14, 2022 by Kravelv
If you have a home that was not built recently, there are chances that you will require upgradation or repair work to be conducted. The electrical codes which are new are making homes safer and so it is necessary to keep up with the changing times. The need for power is increasing due to the fact that technology is accelerating at a very fast pace. Old homes are unable to keep up with the demands for today’s electrical needs. For all these and more, licensed electricians are needed.
One will know if they need an electrician if they see one or more of these symptoms. In case any of these are recognized, an electrician is definitely needed in the home. The symptoms are:
- System interrupts: When the circuit breakers tend to trip often or if there are fuses that blow frequently, it means that there is more current being drawn by your circuits and safety measure should be incorporated immediately. It also could indicate a dangerous fault in one or more than one circuits.
- Flickering and waning of lights: When the fridge is turned on and the ceiling lights dim or when the hair dryer comes on the vanity lamp flickers – these are all signs that more power is been drawn than can be provided and thus these motor driven appliances should be on dedicated circuits. Incase even small appliances cause problems, a 20-amp line is needed in order to service them.
- Many plugs and multi receptacle add ons: Incase the plug strips as well as the multi receptacle add ons are literally choking the outlets, it means that the electrical systems are working more than their capacity and so additional circuits are needed which have duplex receptacles.
- Rug bumps: In case the living room has wires running under the furniture or carpets; it means you require more outlets. Not only is this a potential fire hazard but a safety hazard as well in terms of someone losing their footing and falling.
- Three into two doesn’t fit: Most old homes have outlets where three-pronged ground plugs are not accepted. This indicates the electrical wiring is not grounded fully and it is a safety hazard.
- Old standards do not apply: Incase when an outlet is removed or if switch covers are removed, bits of black rubber are found in the box and the wires are covered not in plastic but in cloth, it means the insulation is outdated and it is a safety hazard.
- Warm feel: If the switches and electrical systems are warm or if there is blackening on the switch plate or wall near it or if the outlet gives a mild shock, there could be aluminum wiring which is dangerous.
- Rust: In case there is moisture or rust under the main service panel it means it is deteriorating and the main wiring connections are threatened.
- Old homes: If the home is more than 25 years old, it needs upgradation of electrical service and there is a possibility of hazardous wiring systems.
Testing of credentials
In all these cases, an electrician is needed. However, you need to ensure that your electrician has all the recommended certifications as well as the insurance. However, there are certain jobs which any professional electrician is not competent to do but only those who have special expertise can undertake them.
The electrician you choose will have to be trustworthy as you are making a heavy investment. Ensure a good research the electrical company that you have the contract signed with.