Last Updated on June 28, 2023 by Kravelv
If you have ever lived in a big city, you will know that the rent for a decent apartment can be very high. Though moving to a large city does give you loads of opportunities and allows you to follow your dreams, you do have to make do with a smaller living space.
Small apartments and homes are difficult to manage, and of course, one of the primary reasons for that is a lack of storage space. However, if you are efficient with the space you have and employ some clever storage hacks, you can create enough space in your apartment for comfortable accommodation, and an elegant appearance.
Therefore, here are six storage solutions for small spaces for your house or small apartment. Keep reading to check them out.
Shelves, lots of shelves
For a small space, one of your go-to solutions for storage should be Shelves, and as the title says, you need to add a whole lot of them. Shelves allow you to maximize the use of vertical space along the walls, without having a significant impact on the central living area.
Furthermore, if done right, shelves can also add to the decor of your home; therefore, create some extra shelves for storage wherever you can. Additionally, remember to make the shelves of variable sizes so that you can store a large variety of items without wasting any space.
Another excellent option is to invest in some shelving racks. You can find racks made from luxurious materials that will fit into the decor of your home, and use them for a ton of extra storage. Buy baskets to place on the shelves, and store your items in them, so that they are well organized and out of sight so that they don’t make your room look like a warehouse. You can find loads of stylish storage baskets and racks at stores like IKEA.
Commercial-type shelves can also be suitable for limited spaces at home as they come in plenty of varieties designed to handle and organize items of all sizes. If you have a mini office and plenty of small items that need organizing, wall-mounted multi-purpose storage bins can help you save space. For instance, small items such as pens, pencils, and other stationery items are great on stackable multi-use bins like the ones you’ll find at Stackit commercial shelving options.
When you are living in a small space, even the essential furniture can make the place look cluttered. Also, if you take a minimalistic approach, the area is sometimes just not enough. However, there is a way to have all the furniture items you need without losing valuable space.
Go for collapsible furniture to save space in your small home. They’re perfect for studio-type condos and apartments where movement can be restricted by bulky furniture. Items like collapsible chairs and coffee tables can be handy when you have some friends over, and later you can put the extra furniture away so that your home doesn’t appear cluttered either.
The kitchen is one of the essential parts of any home, and it also needs quite a bit of storage; however, many people make the same mistakes when it comes to kitchen storage. Here are some ways to maximize storage in your kitchen.
- Use the space above, and on the sides of the refrigerator
- Build spice racks on cabinet doors
- Add a pegboard to hang pans and spoons
- Make shelves within your cupboards
- Create a hanging pot rack
Apart from these ideas, you should also create an open floor plan in your home, which means that the kitchen shouldn’t be walled-in. This will make your home look more prominent, and it will make the kitchen much easier to use.
Storage in the bathrooms
When it comes to the room, no place should be left unused, and the bathrooms are rarely ever considered to be a viable storage location. You should create cupboards underneath the sink for some extra storage. There is a great place to store items like cleaning supplies, extra toiletries, and things that you rarely have to use, like maybe a toolbox.
You can also make a medicine cabinet behind the mirror, and add some overhead cupboards to store towels, and maybe some makeup essentials, because most of the time, you have to do your makeup in front of the bathroom mirror in a hurry.
Therefore, don’t forget about the bathrooms when you are creating storage solutions for your small home.
If you want to add a lot of storage space to your home without making it look cluttered, you will have to get smart and think outside the box. You should try to maximize the use of spaces that are otherwise not considered for storage. For instance, one of the best places for hideaway storage is under the bed.
Now, I’m not saying that you should shove items under your bed; however, some beds come with built-in drawers underneath them. You can also build storage drawers of your own if your bed doesn’t already have them. However, there is going to be a little different considering the impact of firm vs. soft mattress; because firm mattresses may take more space and hence leave less space for storage. Therefore, you will need to make a choice depending on which mattress suits your body.
Other places like under the staircase are also often unused, therefore, consider creating a small cupboard there, and you will have a lot of extra storage.
Another quick tip to increase the utilization of potential storage spaces is to use behind-the-door shoe holders to store items other than shoes as well. Similarly, add some hooks to your closet door to increase storage.
Maximize the usage of vertical space
In smaller homes, you need to use as much vertical space as possible, to save up some horizontal living space. There are many ways to do this, like making high shelves have already been mentioned, but here I will tell you about some more impactful upgrades you can make in your home.
For instance, one idea is elevated beds. Building a great foundation allows you to use the space underneath it for various other purposes, for example, you can make a closet under a raised bed, or may use the space to place a desk, and create a study and working area.
If you have office supplies and equipment, like a printer, heavy-duty puncher, stapler, paper cutter, and product sealer, you can also store them on vertical storage solutions when not in use. You can also install storage shelves and display cabinets vertically for your books, figurines, and collectibles. This layout can maximize your living room and bedroom space.
Storage Solutions For Small Spaces: Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make my small bedroom feel less cramped?
Think about these suggestions to make your small bedroom feel more spacious:
- If you want to make a small room seem larger, use paint or wallpaper in light colors.
- Choose a bed with built-in drawers to keep your bedroom neat and tidy.
- Mirrors may be used to deliberately reflect light and make a space feel more open and airy.
What are some clever storage ideas for small kitchens?
Storage space is at a premium in limited kitchens. Some ingenious ways to put things away:
- Put up magnetic strips or vertical pegboards to store your kitchen equipment and make more room in your drawers.
- Organize your spices and measuring cups on hooks or little shelves installed on the inside of your cabinet doors.
- Invest in stackable containers to neatly store your items and make the most of the space in your pantry.
How can I create storage in a small bathroom?
It may be difficult to create storage in a tiny bathroom, but it is not impossible. Keep in mind the following:
- To make room for towels, toilet paper, and decorative things, mount floating shelves over the toilet or close to the sink.
- Put a shelf in the area over the entrance to make better use of the vertical space.
- Invest in over-the-door racks or tiered baskets to neatly stack cleaning materials and toiletries out of sight.
What are some creative ways to store shoes in a small space?
Shoes can be a major space hog, but with some ingenuity, they can be stored neatly even in a compact location:
- To make the most of your vertical space, hang a shoe organizer with see-through slots over a door.
- To maintain order in your shoe collection, mount a shoe rack to the inside of a cabinet or the back of a closet door.
- You may conserve room and keep your shoes safe by storing them in stackable shoe boxes or placing them beneath your bed.
How can I maximize storage in a small living room?
The following are some suggestions for improving storage in a limited-space living area:
- Choose pieces that also serve as storage, such as ottomans or coffee tables that incorporate drawers.
- Install some floating shelves or a wall-mounted television to make use of the vertical wall space.
- To hide and arrange little objects like remote controls, magazines, and blankets, use beautiful baskets or storage cubes.
What are some space-saving solutions for a small home office?
These options might be helpful when working from home if space is at a premium:
- Buy a folding desk that can be stored compactly or a desk that can be fixed on the wall with storage space.
- File papers and office supplies away in wall-mounted file cabinets or on floating shelves.
- To avoid a tangled mess of cords and connections, it’s a good idea to invest in cable management solutions.
With the correct storage solutions for small spaces, even a little house or apartment may feel like a relaxing haven. By putting these tips into action, you can make the most of your space while minimizing the appearance of clutter. The goal is to use your imagination and make the most of vertical and concealed storage, whether it be with multipurpose furniture or ingenious organizing solutions. Taking on this task will reward you with a more organized and productive home.
You might also like: