Last Updated on November 4, 2021 by Kravelv
When it comes to log homes, the beauty in the wooden design is what gets the maximum attention. There are different kinds of wooden designs that one would probably prefer depending upon attraction and affordability. If you have hired a designer or an architect for your home design he or she must be suggesting you some really cool ideas regarding which is the right windows choice for your timber home.
Things that would help you choosing the right window
Your budget is the most important factor for you to choose the right widow for your timber home. There are various kinds of materials used for making window frames that range from price and thus in quality as well. The frames could be made using aluminum, wood fiber glass and vinyl. It would be much easier to make the right choice if you know the benefits and drawbacks of all the materials along with their prices.
Shapes and styles
Windows are available in different shapes and styles now a days depending upon different uses of them. Most of the time, a suitable window is readily available in the market for being used while sometimes architects order custom windows to the manufacturers to use them uniquely with some timber house designs.
Classification of windows
For choosing the right window for your house, it is a must for you to know different types of windows which would further let you know the best suitable window for your log house. Following are some general types of windows:
- Double hung or single hung windows: This kind of window contains one or more sashes that can be lifted up and down.
- Sliding windows: These windows consists if sections that open when slide to one side.
- Casement windows: These windows have hinges along sides and opens outwards. They are mostly used by a hand crank present near the window sill.
- Awning windows: Awning windows also contain hinges and the window opens outward with hinges at the top.
- Bay and bow windows: This category refers to the windows that are opened from out of the wall.
- Transoms: The rectangular shaped windows often placed over a door are named as transoms.
- Side lights: The windows placed on the door side and are vertical in shape are known as side lights.
The above classification would help you identify the window you need for different portions of your log house and would also make it easy for you to visualize the suggestions given by the architect. This would make your decision much easier and you would be able to clarify your ideas to your home designer.
Purposes of different window styles
The window style to be used entirely depends on the purpose of the opening area you are going to use the window in. If the purpose of the open space to be covered with the window is ventilation, temperature regulation and viewing the outer scenery from the lawn then the use of fixed window is preferred. Whereas if it is a small rectangular or square opening in the room for the purpose temperature regulation then a moveable sliding window is suitable.
The choice of a right window merely depends upon some factors discussed above and having the knowledge of all these factors make it easier for you to communicate your ideas for your log house design if you happened to live in Michigan then you could always consult expert’s window designers and roofing contractors in southeast Michigan for professional advice.