Last Updated on June 28, 2022 by Kravelv
Essential oils are being extracted from the barks, stems or leaves of various trees and plants Essential oils although relatively safe on the skin but the ones for babies, different from the normal ones which do have high levels of chemicals in high concentration than the concentration that the ultra-soft skin cannot tolerate. Visit this site for essential oil blends that can help boost your immune system
Some Major Essential Oils
You can use these essential oils that are diluted enough for children between 6 months and 2 years of age
- Bergamot – This has glitter and fresh citrus odor. It is phototoxic which is because of the chemical known as bergaptine. Eradicate it by making the solution diluted at 0.4%.
- Blue Tansy – It is the Moroccan blue chamomile that gives the skin a calming effect. This also gives the vibes of rejuvenating mind because of pollen in the composition.
- Cedarwood Atlantica – Has calming smell and is soothing to the skin.
- Patchouli – People use it to make the skin look fresher and younger .his must be diluted to make it suitable for babies.
- Monarda – It is an essential oil prepared from the flower of its namesake., Monarda that has been used by the Native Americans as a medicine for ages to make the immune system strong and uses these flowers while bathing their babies to keep them healthy.
Apart from the ones mentioned above, Here are few other natural oils are still in popular demand among its customers.
Dilution of Essential Oils
Baby essential oils have to properly dilute, irrespective of how less-concentrated it might be.
For babies below 6 months old specialists highly recommend it that the dilution level is at 0.25% as the neonatal skin is sensitive and porous which is not yet mature to absorb any chemicals being present in the most-dilute essential oil.
Some of these carrier oils include,
- Vegetable oils, Coconut oils (these have their own cleansing qualities that help nurture the skin)
- Peanut oils (Mixed with the base oil to check on if the base oil has any allergies and eradicate its possibilities)
- Use around 1 or 5 tablespoons of this carrier oil in the essential oil based on the age of the baby.
- You must never do the dilution done using water or other liquids apart from the assigned carrier oils as that may not make the mixture less concentrated which would affect the baby’s skin when applied.
Select an oil for your baby
Here are ways in which you can select an appropriate essential oil for your baby.
- Make sure that your baby is old enough to absorb the essential oils when applied on their skins. U the best judgment and keep in mind that these oils can be strong for the baby skin if not diluted properly. Make sure to consult with a doctor about using them beforehand to remain on the safe side. Also, you can also consult your peers who have used essential oils for their babies and its after-effects before going on for its application.
2 It is important to always select the right oil for the baby as the wrong ones can trigger the adverse effect on their health. Some oils to avoid are:
- Lemon Leaf
3. Essential oils have a different property of its own that doesn’t make it suitable for babies. Henceforth, it is important to read the label of the essential oils that will give data on the sign and dosage for usage on babies.
4. You can also use a patch test to find out if the essential oil is safe to use. Apply 1 or 2 tablespoons of the diluted essential oil mixture on the elbow and look out for any adverse reaction (if any) for the next 24 hours. Some allergic reactions to look out for during this patch test are:- redness, blisters, scratchy throats, red /warm skin, swelling, itching, etc. If there is no irritation or reaction develops after application, then it is deemed to be safe for the baby.
5. Finally, decide on a delivery method. Apply the oil during the bath or with a massage. Make sure that baby skin is sensitive and using essential oil with the bathwater can have a very intense reaction on their skin. Another way to avoid applying essential oils on the skin directly, heat the oil, letting its scent in the room. This scent can calm the baby. However, avoid this method if the baby suffers from any respiratory disorder.
Essential oils are here to stay as it is a great way to keep yourself and whom you care safe, healthy and contented. It is also a good alternative to over-the-counter medicines like paracetamol as a cure for mild fevers and coughs. Keep in mind the dilution ratio for each age group as your baby grows up. Finally, use these natural oils with care and your baby can have a joyous life ahead.