How to Prevent Electrical Fires – A Guide by Electrical Contractors

Ad Blocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

According to a report from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), U.S. fire departments respond to more than 30,000 residential fires that stem from faulty electrical systems each year. With such a high incidence of electrical fires, it is vital that you take measures to eliminate any chances of an electrical fire breaking out in your home.

If you are a Las Vegas resident, having electricians from https://calliduselectric.com inspect your home’s electrical system is an effective way of preventing electrical fires. Apart from having professionals inspect your electrical system, there are other effective ways of preventing electrical fires. This guide by electrical contractors shows effective means of protecting your home and family from electrical fires.

Faulty Electrical System

The report from the NFPA shows that faulty wiring and equipment account for a majority of home fires. The chances of an electrical fire due to faulty wirings increase if your home is more than 40 years old. One telltale sign that your home’s electrical system is faulty or too old is if your circuit breakers trip frequently. Have a professional inspect your electrical system if you suspect that it is a fire incident waiting to happen.

Old Appliances

Old, outdated and faulty appliances can also cause electrical fires. If a an appliance trips a breaker, sparks when in use or cause the lights to flicker when you turn it on, unplug it immediately. Check if you need to have it repaired. Better yet, replace it with a newer, more energy efficient model.

Overloading an Outlet

Even if your outlet is in good shape, you can overburden it if you plug in too many electrical devices using an octopus connection. If multiple appliances and devices are drawing power from a single outlet at the same time, the outlet can overheat or give off sparks. If you don’t have enough outlets in your home, you are better off having pros install more outlets, than being cheap and turn your outlet into a fire hazard.

Surge Protectors

Surge protectors are devices that provide protection for any electrical appliance that are plugged from sudden power surges. An overload of electricity can cause any plugged appliance to spark and start a fire. A power surge protector serves to stop surges of electricity from overloading an electrical appliance and prevent it from becoming a fire hazard.

Routine Inspections

It is important to emphasize the need to have pros inspect your electrical system. They have the necessary training and tools to conduct a thorough and proper check. While such service may cost you, it will be a small price to pay to protect your family and your home from electrical fires.

Be Ready

It always a good idea to be alert, even after taking the necessary measures to prevent electrical fires. In case an electrical fire still broke out, be prepared to deal with it. Have a fire extinguisher that is rated A-B-C, which means that it works well on electrical fires. Never douse an electrical fire with water as you’ll run the risk electrocution.

Leave a Reply