Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
The pointing is the externally visible part of mortar joint seen in masonry constructions. With the passage of time, the pointing goes through decay and may result in gaps or voids between the units. As can be imagined, this contributes to the overall weakening of the structure. Water can enter through these gaps and have destructive effects. Therefore, it needs to be pointed or repointed by roof pointing services when the voids or gaps start to appear. In the construction world, this is also known as pointing up.
Some Facts about Pointing
Before delving into the importance of pointing and hiring a professional service, there are some basic things that must be understood. Generally, stone blocks or bricks are the most common type of masonry units. The units are placed on a mortar bed which causes the mortar to be squeezed out through the gaps between the units. Before it hardens, it is cleaned and shaped. For some projects, the mortar is part of the decoration and is not cleaned completely but given a better, more aesthetic finish.
Benefits of Pointing
Brick or stone work often has to bear the brunt of weather conditions such as rain, frost, and strong winds. Although these structures are sturdy and can put up against the elements of nature, they cannot hold their sturdiness and strength forever. With time, the mortar might start disintegrating and leave the structure free of the element that gives it most of its strength. When the face of the mortar is no longer visible properly, it is time to start looking for roof pointing services. There are many benefits of getting roof pointing done for your building:
- Firstly, it will make the structure look new without you having to pay for any major repairs later on.
- Secondly, it makes the roof even sturdier than before so that it can stand strong against bad weather.
- Thirdly, the gaps in the mortar can allow water, dust particles and other debris to blow in indoors. Getting help from a roof pointing service will put a stop to all this and help you keep the insides of your house clean.
This will also increase the value of the property if roof pointing has been recently done. This is because repointing increases the life of the structure and makes it more durable.
How to Choose the Right Pointing Service
Therefore, as is apparent from the above decision, roof pointing services are an important aspect of home improvement that has many benefits. However, a lot depends on the experience and skill of the service you are hiring. In order to make sure that you strike the right deal, here are some tips to follow:
- There is no better tip than to ask friends or family for a recommendation. Since the quality of their work is advocated by someone you know personally, word of the mouth recommendations are a great way to hire a skilled service.
- You can also look for similar businesses on the internet. There are several online listing sites where pointing services can be found and hired. However, make sure that you check their credentials, reviews by past customers, and background check information from their official website.
- Lastly, get a written contract of the services you are hiring them for. Any professional service will provide this without the customer having to ask for it. To make sure that you get the best deal, don’t hesitate in getting a few price quotes before hiring one of them. Compare the quotes and select the one that you find most suitable.
Whether you are getting the roof originally pointed or repointed to reverse the effects of damage over the years, only a skilled group of professionals must be trusted with it.